Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

We are welcoming fall with open arms around here - though summer temperatures continue to creep in every now and then. I am doing my best not to complain, because I will take an 86 degree October day over a 46 degree October day all month long. Last winter here was pretty brutal, and fearing a repeat performance, I intend to enjoy each warm moment I can get.

We've been staying very busy with Oktoberfests, Fall Festivals, and hosting grandparents over the last couple of weeks. At the beginning of this month MP2 cheered for his dad at a race for the first time. It was a 10k that both MP and I ran last year (though, it doesn't feel like I am running when MP finishes in about half the time as me!), but this year MP had the honors. With a 7:15am start time, I am not sure what we would have done with MP2...that's a bit early for a babysitter (and, considering we haven't had a babysitter yet - I am not sure that was going to be our first experience). Here are the MPs just across the finish line.

If running skills are genetic, then in no time at all, MP will be cheering on MP2...I mean look, MP2 is definitely his mini-me.

After the race (and yet another disappointing attempt at having brunch in CoMo - how can a college town lack breakfast restaurants?!?! I just don't get it), we headed to Oktoberfest in Hermann, MO. It is such a picturesque town right on the Missouri River about an hour from us. It was a bit windy and a little chilly, and MP2 was skeptical about our being able to have a fun time
But once we tasted some wine and started swinging him around, he definitely changed his mind and had a fun day!

All that playing wore him out, and as we had the requisite German fare for a late lunch, MP2 had a nice lap nap. Note he's following in his mommy's footsteps being able to - through a nap, no less - hang onto his plastic wine cup. We're one classy family!


This past weekend, we were happy to again welcome Franma and Grand Dan to town for a nice long weekend visit. We headed to yet another Fall Festival...this time, it was the Pumpkin Festival in Hartsburg, MO - and this time, it was about 20 or so degrees warmer. It did not make it feel like Halloween is right around the corner. We had a great time nonetheless. We walked through the town (which, on a normal day, has a population of 108...but on this day is thousands more)...
...and finally ended up on the front porch of the town watering hole. It was much cooler in the breezy shade of the porch.
We got a bag of popcorn which was larger than MP2

...and then we headed out to get some pictures amidst the pumpkins. I had dreams of cute pictures which I have seen friends post on Facebook, or send out on their holiday cards. Unfortunately, we missed our feeding/sleeping/good mood timing - and even though I knew it would be a bad idea, we pulled a sleeping MP2 out of the stroller and tried to ever so gently place him among the large pile of Halloween cheer. As you can see, this did not go over well at all.

On that note, we called it a day.

MP2 got some QT with Franma and Grand Dan. Franma gave MP2 a bottle once each day of her stay - including on Saturday night, allowing MP and I time to go out for dinner. It was my first taste of sushi since sometime last fall, and man, was it good!




We've been seeing much more of that little smile on film- it's still tough to catch him in a full face smile, but I am getting better at capturing at least a little grin.


MP2 is also getting so much bigger. I swear every time I turn around he is looking more and more like a little boy...

...getting so interested in the world around him. Figuring out that those are his hands on the end of his arms, and he can use them to reach and grab and touch things.
These days he just chills out on his belly - we even get smiles! To see him getting bigger and stronger every day has been pretty amazing, and so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment